Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Growing Pains

Robert Rodriguez says everyone has about 20 really bad ideas to get out of their system before they start producing consistently good work. I've got a poop-ton more than 20 bad ideas, but the point still applies

Making turds is part of "the process" (I'm big on Saban-isms).

My main problem?

... I did not approach this project with a story first mentality. That's a pretty big problem. There are some good shots throughout and some nifty edits in a few spots, but it's a crutch. My project does not stand on it's own as a story.

Why?

...Because I never filled my role as a director for the project. Instead, I drew David a lot of storyboards and gave him a rough shotlist. That's all fine, but I never discussed a "story" with him. I never sat down and said, "Hey David, I've got this really cool idea for how to tell a story about this football game". How can I reasonably expect him to deliver me the shots that tell a story if I never told him the story to begin with? He did a great job with what I gave him, and after editing we talked about ways to improve for next time. That's what I love about David. Before, during, and after every shoot, he wants to know one thing, "How can I make it better?"

As a result of laziness on the front end, I tried (poorly) to cobble together a story for the project in the editing lab. Projects shouldn't be directed in the editing lab, and that's what I did with this one. Bottom line.

-Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment