Monday, November 22, 2010

Scene Assignment Recap

The scene assignment had been my favorite project. It teaches more than you even realize your learning at the time. It's more than storyboards, shotlists, and casting - it's about learning how to work with others and how to conduct yourself.

Personally, I'm way more comfortable in the DP role. It feels more natural to me. I love to be kind of the right hand man, the foil to suggestions, and the person who helps the director visually articulate their vision. I had a lot of fun working with Hamilton on his scene assignment. I learned a lot about working with someone with a different workflow. I'm a planner (atleast when it comes to filmmaking). I love having everything worked out beforehand. I like to really know what I'm going to be shooting and I try to stay ahead of it through - visual references, detailed storyboards, lighting and blocking floor plans, and other OCD habits. On the other hand, Hamilton is a little bit more relaxed about preproduction, and I think it was good for me to work with him because it allowed me to practice some improvisational lighting. We did a lot of it on the fly without too much planning. With that being said, I think the results came out well. There are a lot of things I would go back and change, specifically the wideshot, the two-shot, and some small details in the CU's. Then again, I think the idea of a "perfect shot" is a myth. There is no perfect shot, and that's why we keep shooting.

I also learned a lot about directing from this exercise. That's actually kind of an understatement. I knew going in and that I had a lot of things I needed to work on as a director. I tried very hard to work through the details of the scene before hand so that I knew my vision in and out. In certain areas like casting, wardrobe, blocking, and location. I still struggled when in actually came to working with my actor. Taking my vision of a performance and bringing it out from an actor is really hard for me. Luckily, Andrew really picked up on the scene and did a great job. My other big struggle is to not be the DP. We shot everything in one day. During the first part of the day I did a much better job staying relaxed and trusting Hamilton. For some of the more complicated shots I let Hamilton shoot them for several takes, and if I was still looking for something I might take a few tries. As the day wore on though and time got thin, I found myself sidelining Hamilton more and more. At the time I rationalized this as quickest way to push through. But looking back, I was depriving myself of an opportunity to grow as a director and for Hamilton to grow as a DP. I also made the mistake of shooting the most pivotal part of the scene (the dialogue) towards the end of the night when everyone's energy was running a little low. Bad move on my part, and the results suffered some.

All in all though, it was nice to see a lot progress between this and my last efforts as a director. I really can't thank everyone involved enough, you guys were great. Thanks for the patience.

-Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment