Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Good Night and Good Luck

It's actually daytime, but "Good Night" sounds more dramatic.

312 has been a great class, and one of the few where I have a hard time imagining anyone walking out disappointed or feeling like they didn't learn anything. It's kind of sad when a class you really love dissolves. I know I'll still be seeing and working with a lot of you next semester, next year, and maybe even years to come, but it's still sad to see your class go. You get attached to idiosyncratic, dynamics of a good class - where everyone sits, the awkward silences between critiques, Anthony's cravings for pizza pie. But I'm comforted by the fact, that everyone has grown so much through the semester. It was weird to come into the class in position of experience ( I use that term relatively) because I was in exactly the opposite position last semester. There are just so many things I could talk about that I loved about this class, I'll keep it to a few...

"Cinematography for Directors" was an excellent book. Rachel did a really great job picking the reading material. This book in particular was so interesting to me though. I like that it dealt with cinematography in a "why" mindset other than focusing on the "how"

Filmmaking is an active and you really have to motivate yourself. Rachel structured the class in a way to reflect that. We did tons of stuff, but how high you set the bar was usually up to you. The scene assignment, the portraits of the place were awesome. I love going through the entire process of working with people, getting something of the ground and completed.

Being around gear and cameras and all that other good stuff lights a spark to learn more. I spend a lot of terms hanging out in the dvxuser, rogerdeakins, creativecow, and cinematography.com forums trying to learn more, but I attribute the spark of that desire to Rachel and the 312 class.

I read in each and every blog posted. I really got excited about seeing what everyone had to see, and I feel like I know everyone better through them.

It's already been said, but  there's a lot of talent in the class. The opportunity to be in a school that's actively building it's film department and be surrounded by other filmmakers who are eager to share and talk about their ideas is a blessing.

-Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment