Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I Googled "Money Shots"...

...and I don't think most of the pictures are "classroom appropriate".

I'm not exactly sure how I define the "money shot" when it comes to filmmaking. In class we seemed to talk about them mostly in terms or epic time lapses or some grand shots of the Grand Canyon at sunset. Those can certainly be beautiful , but a lot of times it's just beauty for the sake of beauty.

So in the context of an entire movie, money shots, for me, are those moments when everything comes into perfect harmony. Color, framing, light, wardrobe, production design, direction, ect. It creates a special moment, and it's that whole moment, not exclusively the cinematography, that makes it work. Here are some...





"Hero" this is visually stunning movie. Very stylized and full of money shots.



This is a still from one of my favorite scenes in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". Great scene.



"There Will be Blood" The use of wideshots in this movie is incredible. The entire scene with the explosion, the spewing oil, and Daniel Plainview covered in oil holding his son is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment